Recipe: Creamy broccoli lentil soup
Sep 1, 2017
This beautiful and tasty creamy broccoli lentil soup is not only easy and healthful but also dairy-free.
- 1 medium onion till translucent
Add and saute until fragrant
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry red lentils*
- 2 – 3 large heads broccoli, florets and stalks cut into equal sizes to cook evenly (10 cups of frozen broccoli florets work well, too)
- 6 – 7 cups water or vegetable broth (or a combination)
- 1 can coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk (optional – if adding, reduce water/broth)
Bring to a boil and make sure all the broccoli is covered with liquid. Add more water if necessary, or be patient and stir as broccoli softens.
Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until lentils are tender.*
Puree some or all and season with salt to taste. A squeeze of lemon will add brightness.
If you want to get fancy, serve with
- crushed mustard seeds
- sliced scallions
- slivered almonds
*NOTE: If using green or brown lentils the soup will need to simmer for 30 – 35 minutes, so wait to add broccoli 15 minutes into the simmer time to avoid that bitter overcooked broccoli flavor.